Subject: Re: 200205290000 pre-1.6 snapshot: GENERIC kernel hangs on AGP
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2002 23:30:44
In message <20020603063544.GA21066@rek.tjls.com>Thor Lancelot Simon writes
>On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 06:14:41PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>> The GENERICL kernel from the 200205290000 snapshot hung hard during
>> boot, immediately after printing the "agp0" line.  Perhaps the keyboard
>
>For what it's worth, I had *precisely* this problem on a brand-new
>AMD-760MPX motherboard last week.  This is also a dual-CPU board with only
>one CPU installed.

Hm. Tomorrow, I can try and scare up a matching slot-1 CPU.  Or I
can try it in a Tyan motherboard (dual 550MHz), with AGP, if I can
remember where I put that box.

>Removing "agp" from the kernel config fixed things.  Maybe the problem is
>related to agp and dual-processor boards -- or maybe it's due to agp and
>the lack of an agp card and a configured AGP aperture?  I have the AGP
>aperture configured to size "0" in my BIOS, which doesn't seem to bother
>any other operating system...

My guess is aperture size, specially afte the problems Jason
(and others?)  worked on for 81x boards. But I don't recall anywhere to
set an aperture size in the HP BIOS (built from a rather old Phoenix
codebase, by the look).

Did you ever try setting a nonzero aperture?  If you can try it, does
that fix the problem, too?