Subject: Re: msdos filesystem corruption
To: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2002 11:09:57
--- Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I started noticing problems writing to msdos
> filesystems a while ago, but
> never got around to trying to debug it.  I figured I
> should atleast
> present the problem before 1.6 moves out of beta
> phase.
>
> The easiest way I've found to see the problem is to
> create a small
> text file somewhere on an msdos filesystem, umount
> the filesystem,
> re-mount it, and view the file.  Something gets
> screwed up with the block
> map, and the file data is all garbage (all 'U's in
> my case).
>
> Are there any msdosfs debugging tools around?  I'd
> like to look at things
> like the FAT to try to figure out whats going
> wrong...
>
> Thanks,
> 	Rick

A ha! I've had lots of msdosfs data going bad lately
(including a few gigs of personal info that I was
attempting to back up, but I found that the compressed
file was bad like you say). I mount my msdosfs
filesystem read only at boot, but sometimes I unmount
it and re-mount it readwrite to copy some stuff to it.

Anything I can do to help?

Andy