Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/2002 17:26:48
der Mouse said:

>I've got a Mac IIx with 5M of RAM, and some hp300s that I haven't
>managed to put more than 6 into. :-)

The 3/50 with 12 megs running -current is bad enough. :-)

>I recall one time when I was peripherally involved with taking a
>VAX-11/730 out of service.  We looked for the CPU and couldn't identify
>it, eventually deciding it was a Z-80 running a VAX emulator - the
>speed felt about right for that. :-)

I once had a chance to get a 730 running BSD 2.x with 14 terminals for
free, but I didn't get there in time. Probably a good thing, if I still
had it it would probably be running NetBSD, very slowly.

Down in my basement I have a Charles River Data Systems Universe 68.
I can either run it a proc board that has a 68000 12Mhz main cpu and
a 68000 8Mhz i/o cpu or a proc board with 68020 12Mhz/16Mhz with similar
i/o processor. The box has a Versabus backplane with 7 slots, although
I lose a slot with a 68020 card due to a daughter card.

UNOS will run on that in as little as 2 megs of memory.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com