Subject: netbooting a sparc
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Roine Thunberg <artee@astrakan.hig.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/2002 23:27:30
While reading the docs at netbsd.org I found out this...

"Before starting, it's worth mentioning, that sometimes the bootparamd
daemon decides not to respond to `whoami' requests. I've seen this happen
with NetBSD, Linux, and Solaris. Sometimes it takes several tries! This
gives the same error message as if bootparamd is not running. If, after
several tries, you still can't get it to work, try compiling a different
bootparam server (or if none is available for your server platform, try a
different server OS). "

rarpd works...

	May 27 23:20:57 skumburk rarpd[3617]: received packet on ep0
	May 27 23:20:57 skumburk rarpd[3617]: 08:00:20:73:5e:ee asked; sparcy
	replied"

rpc.bootparamd doesn't respond at all

my /etc/bootparams looks like this

	skumburk# cat bootparams
	sparcy  root=sparcys-gw:/opt/sparc/exports/root

my sparc 4 responds with this...

	Booting NetBSD
	Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address: 192.168.0.2bootparamd:
	'whoami' call failed
	Bootp: no reply

	etc. etc.

Should I fumble with bootptab and bootpd? Or should I retry and retry and
retry... ?

Roine... who made it with a Sparc Classic ones before with the same server
setup.