Subject: Re: X 4.x, XF86Setup and SuperProbe
To: Noud de Brouwer <noud@knot.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/2002 15:38:40
On Mon, 27 May 2002, Noud de Brouwer wrote:

> On 27-May-2002 Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > I see. The serial mouse is connected to the second serial port (tty01
> > = com2)? What do you have exactly for `Section "Pointer"'?
>
> correct. but now removed..(ln'ed /dev removed as well)
>
> PS/2 mouse in upper mini-din-8
> new# dmesg|grep  wsm
> wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
> new#
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "Mouse0"
>     Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse0"
> EndSection
>
> (i did name it InputDevice like found in XF86Config.eg
> Pointer is <4.0?)

Yes, but either should work. And it still dumps core in the same
place? So it may not be the mouse, after all, but the next thing after
that, which is the mode lines. With XF4, you don't enter "ModeLines"
anymore; the only user knobs are the HorizSync and the VertRefresh in
the "Monitor" section, and the Modes in the "Screen" section. You
could try tweaking the VertRefresh or HorizSync in the "Monitor"
section. The docs warn that making either too broad can damage the
monitor, but making them too narrow, or giving a comma separated list
when a range would do, may leave you with no usable modes. In that
case, the server shouldn't dump core, though; it should exit with a
message, "no usable modes", so it looks like a bug in the server.

Frederick