Subject: Re: I just mkfs'd my backup!!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/2002 12:35:17
> Ok.  I had a 20gig hd, and had a 1.5g partition at the end, [...tale
> of woe...]

> Is there any hope of me ever seeing my beloved data again *sob*?

Hope, yes.  If a backup superblock for the new fs landed on top of
something, that thing will have been overwritten; everything else
should be intact.

First, re-newfs the partition with a smaller size, so's to avoid
overwriting that 1.5G of data while you work.

Finding your data may be a bit more interesting.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2002/05/23/0017.html is the
archive copy of a message of mine from four days ago in which I
included a program to look for superblocks.  In your case it will be a
bit more interesting because you'll have superblocks from both
partitions there; you may want to hack on the program to test the
superblock to see if the filesystem size is (say) under 2G, or some
such, to filter out the ones you care about.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign