Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2002 22:26:00
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 07:26:50PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Andy R said:
> >I gotta find me a 386/16mhz or a sun3... One of these
> >days I'll have the slowest NetBSD machine on the
> >planet. I've already got the slowest one on my block!
>
> I could fix you up with a 3/50 with 8 or 12 megs of memory.

With 8 or 12 megs of memory? Luxury. I didn't think those boxes
sold with anything but the 4 megs on the motherboard, so you must
have an added memory card thingie.

My 486sx with 4 megs of RAM compiled a kernel just fine. It was
running the ISA-only kernel, and the compile only took 40+ days.
It wouldn't have taken that long but I moved and had to stop it.

I'm rid of that machine now, thankfully.
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...