Subject: Re: promise tx2 ata100 pci card
To: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2002 20:16:58
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 12:59:32AM +0100, Rasputin wrote:
> * Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net> [020524 00:24]:
> > I bought one to replace the buggy onboard HPT366 my machine has. It works
> > perfectly, performs a whole lot better than the HPT366 did (I often see
> > around 42MB/s when copying from my ata66 ibm deskstar (first channel) to the
> > ata100 deskstar on the second.
>
> Same plan here - mobo is ATA33, so this should speed things up nicely.
>
> > I didn't have to do anything tricky to make it work, only had to adjust my
> > pciide<x> at blah lines in my kernel config file, but that was only because
> > I have my devices hardwired in it instead of just using pciide* at pci? dev
> > ? function ?
>
> Can I just check - do I need two lines now?
The related lines I have are:
(note pciide0 is the onboard normal-ide33 stuff, not the hpt366, which is disabled)
pciide0         at pci0 dev 7 function 1 flags 0x0000
pciide1         at pci0 dev 13 function 0 flags 0x0000
atapibus0       at pciide0 channel 0
atapibus1       at pciide0 channel 1
cd0             at atapibus0 drive 0 flags 0x0000
cd1             at atapibus0 drive 1 flags 0x0000
cd2             at atapibus1 drive 0 flags 0x0000
wd0             at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0 flags 0x0000
wd1             at pciide1 channel 1 drive 0 flags 0x0000

I think a pciide* at pci? dev ? function ? line should pick up the new card.

> Yeah, making it work on an already installed system is what I'm after
> - I was hoping, if not expecting, to be able to just plug it in, fit a new
> cable and boot - figured wd0 is always wd0 if it's the only disk :)
I think it should be.

> I think I need 2 pciide devices; that's probably it. I guess the kernel
> is loaded by the bootloader which exlains why it was found, even though
> the kernel doesn't know about multiple ide controllers.
You might need one for the onboard if you're still using it for something like
a cd-rom (like I do)

> I'll try that, then maybe ask for your dmesg and kernel config file
> if I get stuck, if that's OK?

That's fine.
kernel config is at:
http://www.ender.com/~dive/netbsd/EROS

dmesg is at:

--
/~\ The ASCII                         Sean Davis
\ / Ribbon Campaign                    aka dive