Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2002 20:30:37
--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:53:16PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 17:58:30 (+0200), Julio Merino wrote: ]
>=20
> I have a 486sx laptop with 4MB of RAM that just barely runs.  I can SSH
> with it, etc., but it does a fair bit of paging.
>=20
> It would run a lot more if the main goal wasn't to use an ethernet
> interface on it.....   :-)

Heh, I don't know yet what I will do with that computer, but I want to see
it booting something else than DOS :p

> > this doesn't matter, but will it run afterwards?
>=20
> You'll probably need a custom kernel if you want networking.  The
> variant of GENERIC_TINY I created locally does work, even with wscons,
> though there's only about 1.2MB of RAM left for processes, and running
> in anything but single-user mode is extremely painful given the very
> slow disk in this machine.

I'm going to compile my own kernel now. I think I'll make a -current
release tgz set and I'll unpack it later on the 520 mb disk. After that,
I will put my own compiled kernel (so no need to go through the sysinst
process)... I got a 1.5mb kernel for my firewall, so I hope this one to
be a bit smaller ;)

Any objections with this?

Thanks!

--=20