Subject: Re: NetBSD with 4mb ram
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2002 18:04:15
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 05:58:30PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have an old portable 386 computer that only has 4mb of ram. Would it be
> possible to install netbsd on it? 1.5.3 or current? (I've been googling and
> found something about vax, but I do not know if it will be the same on i386).

I've ran 1.5.2 on my "phaeton" and now am running -current from start of may on
it. "Phaeton" is a toshiba t3400 w/ 4mb ram, 486dx2/66 laptop with 120 MB of
disk (32 MB of it being swap), and a pcmcia ne. I'm not running X on it, but
four consoles with window(1). It rocks. (yes, I'm quite low on space, but thx
to syspkgs I even have cc & gdb on it :).

If you have more diskspace (advisable :p) you'll be running fine with any 1.5 :)
If not, a whole lot of twiddling and multiple installs (syspkgs have no dependancies,
easy to miss stuff) will wait for you.

NetBSD rocks :-))

-Martin