Subject: Re: NetBSD on legacy free notebooks?
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Takayoshi Kochi <kochi@snipers.mine.nu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2002 09:30:44
Hi Hubert,

> I'd like to inquire about the status of NetBSD on legacy free (i.e.
> ACPI-only) notebooks? I could get Toshiba Satellite 5000 and 5100 models,
> but would like to ask about chances to get things running first, before
> wasting time.
>
> How far is our ACPI implementation?

I just sent the patch to update ACPI CA subsystem to port-i386
(because the driver we have in -current tree is too old
and there are many bugs fixed since then).
But it's only an os-independent ACPI component and the
drivers using ACPI subsystem have much to be improved.

Especially, for laptops, we need ACPI-based suspend and
hibernation.  Better utilization of ThermalZones and
Fans is also good to have, but we don't.

---
Takayoshi Kochi