Subject: Re: releases
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2002 18:36:18
On 16.05.02, 12:02:16, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> Pat: The popular trend towards usage these days seems to be: 1) grab
> either grab a release OR snapshot from the release branch ("netbsd-1-5" at
> this point), 2) install, 3) fetch a full source tree, 4) and cvs update
> then 5) rebuild world 6) rebuild kernel, reboot, 7) enjoy the world's most
> stable computing platform.

And actually, the 1-5 release branch has been called "1.5.3" for some
time now, and the cvs tag "1-5-PATCH003", meaning "1.5.3" is already
there.

Maybe the port-masters are already quietly building the binary
distributions. And it will only be released once the last one is
complete, and no new bugs show up in the release branch.

> -lava
>
> On Thu, 16 May 2002 @ 4:32pm (+0200), Patrik Ahlenius wrote:
>
> PA> Hey, sitting here at working wondering if we should install netbsd, however,
> PA> is netbsd i386 still in develompent?

Seems to me development is more active than ever. Besides the 1.5
branch I also track -current for one of my machines, for which the
release does not have all the drivers I need (audio driver for IBM
z50, NetBSD/hpcmips), and a whole lot is changing every time I cvs
update.

I'm not myself a NetBSD developer, and so most of my machines run
1.5[.x], and everything is very stable.

> PA> Seems there has been no release since over a year ago :)

The latest release is 1.5.2 and that was September 13, 2001. Maybe the
NetBSD release announcement didn't make it to the headlines in those
troubled days ...

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Linux without the hype.