Subject: Re: S/PDIF Sound
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/15/2002 12:07:59
On 15.05.02, 21:36:38, Ernst du Toit wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> I pulled the card and it's a CMI8738/PCI-SX so no SPDIF on this one.
>
> Thanks for all the help - now the hunt starts for card with a MX on it :)
>
> --et

How about S/PDIF support for the Yamagha DS-1 series audio controllers
(i. e. YMF 724, 740, 744 and 754 chips)?

Many of those cards (I have a "HOONtech" board, that works nicely)
have a digital-I/O bracket that includes in- and outputs with both
optical and coaxial connectors. The chip can also do AES/EBU but I
don't know if that's going to be supported any time soon. And I don't
expect to own any studio equipment that speaks that protocol in the
forseeable future.

However, S/PDIF inpout would be a nice benefit. Even if only to make
DVD-Player-playable copies copy-protected audio CDs. My CD-Player is
so old that it will hopefully play those CDs and even output the audio
on the digital interface.)

Regards,

Bernd

--