Subject: Re: S/PDIF Sound
To: None <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@houseofet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/15/2002 11:58:56
Thanks for the info

I'll try and update my cmpci driver first and then pull my install up to a
higher snapshot - these days my box is too much of a production machine :(

As for different chips, you might be right, can't see how cmedia can afford
to manufacture so many variants.

I got my info from: http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_product_01.htm

CMI8738/PCI C3DX Series

Chip Function List

Model			MODEM		SPDIF/ZVport		channel

CMI8738/PCI-6CH		O		O			6
CMI8738/PCI-6CH-MX	x		O			6
CMI8738/PCI-6CH-LX	x		x			6
CMI8738/PCI		O		O			4
CMI8738/PCI-SX		x		x			4

The card I have has front and rear line out connectors and line-in and mic
for input, so I guess it's a 4 channel device, but I will have to pull the
card to see if the SX label is on the chip.

The card I got was even cheaper than $30US. You get what you pay for, I
thought I could be clever and mod the card to get the SPDIF outputs - the
SPDIF enabled CMI8738 cards were 3 times the price :)

--et