Subject: A7V333 Problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/2002 18:55:51
I've just bought a 1533 MHz Athlon system (Athlon 1800) based on
the Asus A7V333 motherboard, and I'm having various PCI-related
problems with it. They seem somewhat dependent on which cards are
in which slots, but they generally manifest themselves as funny
characters appearing on the screen, and eventually the screen
getting garbled. I've even seen this happen in the BIOS, though
much more rarely than with NetBSD.

Anybody have any thoughts on what might be causing this? I'm a bit
suspicious of the memory myself, as Asus only certifies certain
types of PC2700 memory with this system, and the Samsung 512 MB
DIMM I'm using doesn't seem to be certified. But I also have a few
older PCI cards in the system (Adaptec 2940UW, Matrox Millenium
video card, and either a 3c905 or Intel 82558 rev 5 Ethernet);
might they be part of the problem? Anybody have any thoughts on
what BIOS settings I might change to see what works and doesn't,
and narrow down problems?

cjs