Subject: Booting NetBSD above cyl. 1024
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan M. McConahy <rm@m-net.arbornet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/06/2002 20:11:43
Hello!

I'm trying to get NetBSD working with a GNU/Linux system. I downloaded the binaries and install disks for NetBSD-1.5.2, and put them on my ext2 partition.

With the install kernel, is it possible to mount the ext2 partition to get the sets?

If that works, can I put NetBSD above cyl. 1024? And if I do, how do I boot the kernel? Can it be booted above cyl. 1024, or do I have to put it on my boot partition?

Here's my partition layout, if it can help:

hda1	(boot)	primary	ext2	8mb
hda5	main	logical	ext2	~18500mb
hda6		logical	ext2	~25
hda7		logical	OpenBSD	1500

The OpenBSD partition is from when I tried to install OpenBSD. It never worked right, because it was above cyl. 1024. Can that, or the BSD disklabel that goes with it, be useful?

Thanks if you can help,
Ryan M. McConahy

--
PGP Key-ID: 9AACF31B9344BAC1

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

"To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty,
my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists."  --John Ashcroft,
U.S. Attorney General