Subject: Re: PCMCIA to USB bridge
To: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
From: Rob Quinn <rquinn@sec.sprint.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/06/2002 11:18:30
> Hmm .. I work on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop which has two PC-Card slots
> onboard. I can insert both PCMCIA and CardBus cards in the socket, but I've
> never got a CardBus card running properly.  [...] but a co-worker of mine has
> his Tecra 8000 in a dockingstation and can use CardBus cards (a 3com NIC)

 I have an 8100, and there's a BIOS "PC CARD" setting that controls the
cardbus.  One of the options is "PCIC Compatible", and when it's set I get
"pcic0 at isa0" and "pcmcia{0,1} at pcic0" (and my cardbus Xircom disappears).
If it's set to "CardBus/16-bit" I get (including my tlp0 Xircom):

#dmesg | egrep 'cbb[01]|cardslot|pcmcia|cardbus'
cbb0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Toshiba ToPIC95B CardBus-PCI Bridge (rev. 0x07)
cbb1 at pci0 dev 11 function 1: Toshiba ToPIC95B CardBus-PCI Bridge (rev. 0x07)
cbb0: interrupting at irq 11
cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 2 device 0
pcmcia0 at cardslot0
cbb1: interrupting at irq 11
cardslot1 at cbb1 slot 1 flags 0
cardbus1 at cardslot1: bus 3 device 0
pcmcia1 at cardslot1
tlp0 at cardbus0 dev 0 function 0: Xircom X3201-3 Ethernet, pass 0.3

> Re: PCMCIA to USB bridge

 We don't have any 8000's, but my 8100 has builtin USB, and I'll note that the
Toshiba web site has a download titled "Windows 95 USB drivers for Tecra 8000".
See if you have a little flip-cover door somewhere.

> Could the slots have somehow been broken to allow cardbus cards in there ?

 Mine has a little stylized "CB" next to it.