Subject: Re: PCMCIA to USB bridge
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/06/2002 00:50:07
On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 03:45:50PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
| >CardBus and PCMCIA are both "PC Card" form-factor.  PCMCIA is roughly
| >ISA and CardBus is roughly PCI.
|
| and, while you can't plug an isa card into a pci slot, you *can* plug
| a pcmcia card into a cardbus slot.  but not vice versa.  it physically
| disallows it.

Hmm .. I work on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop which has two PC-Card
slots onboard. I can insert both PCMCIA and CardBus cards in the
socket, but I've never got a CardBus card running properly. And I've
tried several OSses (Windows WE (whatever), Linux, NetBSD). Perhaps
it's my poor supply of CardBus cards, but a co-worker of mine has his
Tecra 8000 in a dockingstation and can use CardBus cards (a 3com NIC)
in that dockingstation (unfortunately he runs Windows, so I couldn't
get a lot more hard data). I should probably investigate this further
but I haven't had the time yet.

Linux (currently running on the machine) reports the following (from
dmesg) :
Intel PCIC probe:
  Intel i82365sl B step ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00, 2 sockets
    host opts [0]: none
    host opts [1]: none
    ISA irqs (scanned) = 3,4,7,10 polling interval = 1000 ms

Could the slots have somehow been broken to allow cardbus cards in
there ?

TIA,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/