Subject: Re: Bootability eludes me once again
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/2002 00:05:00
> I must admit that I wonder why CHS are used instead of block number
> from the start of the disk -- I thought that disks were addressed by
> block number anyway?

Welcome to i386-land. :-P

This depends on whether it's using CHS addressing or LBA addressing,
and possibly on other factors I know nothing about.  Check the BIOS
setup screen; it usually says how the disk is addressed, for IDE disk.
(Of course, the BIOS settings affect only accesses that go through the
BIOS, ie, everything before the kernel gets control.  After that, well,
see what the boot messages report for the drive, as in

	wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing

Or you could dump the Inhell box and get a real machine from a real
manufacturer that isn't still crippling its customers in the name of
compatability with twenty-year-old mistakes.  *OW!*  Okay, okay, I know
this is port-i386, I'll stop ranting now....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign