Subject: Re: Bootability eludes me once again
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/2002 14:57:51
> Hum, there's a problem here. If you want to boot from scsi, I guess
> the first SCSI disk should appear as C: (80h) not D:.
> It appears as D: because the BIOS already assigned C: to the IDE drive.
>
> Reading though the rest of your message I guess what's the problem
> is here is that the bios gets the disk numbers wrong: when set to boot from
> SCSI it will load the boot sector of D:, but then claim to the boot sector
> that it was loaded from C:
> If your IDE disk isn't used for anything else but storing data in NetBSD
> you can disable C: in BIOS (just claim there is no C: drive, don't disable
> the IDE controller). Then the SCSI BIOS should assign C: to the first SCSI
> disk and the boot should work.

This could be a problem - would reqire that the BIOS is being
inconsistent with its numberering scheme (which is clearly true
since the 'boot from floppy' and 'boot from disk' options seem to
give the disks different numbers.

OTOH, pressing F4 found the bootselect code again,
so the bios must be reading the correct disk (0x80 = scsi disk 0).
Possibly it is passing in a different disk id to the mbr code,
but that seems unlikely.....

My bets are still on the scsi bios using a different chs-lba
translation.

I can possibly build a copy on the mbr_bootsel code with
specific diagnostics and/or specific behaviour.
(But there isn't much space to play with!)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk