Subject: Re: Memory parity error indications with ECC RAM
To: Rex McMaster <rmcm@cebes.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/2002 14:06:54
In message <02050107063800.22135@oshima.cebes.org>,
Rex McMaster writes:

>On Wednesday 01 May 2002 01:57, Dr R.S. Brooks wrote:
>> We have two systems (one a new machine destined to be a webcache here,
>> the second a "new" system for home built out of bits bought on eBay).
>> Both have ECC RAM and Intel chipsets, and both are showing problems
>> which may indicate memory errors.
>>
>> Please can anyone confirm that all corrected memory errors do result in
>> an error log message?
>>

>I am unsure about whether the i386 port reports ECC errors (can someone
>clarify this?) - I could only find references to ECC in the alpha port when
>tracing a problem a couple of months back, which appeared to be memory based.
>What are the symtoms you are seeing?

Intel "server" boards (N440BX or newer) will report and log ECC via
IPMI.  You can find the log via the server entry in the BIOS screens.
The IPMI-aware systems I've seen can be configured to report SERR,
PERR, or both, via NMI.   Lower-end systems should report via NMI.

What kind of motherboard, exactly, is the suspect?