Subject: Re: PCI printer card
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2002 08:51:17
Quoting Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>:

> You might consider getting a USB<->parallel adapter.  (I have one that
> works quite ncely---and unlike the builtin parallel port, the USB
> converter doesn't sap the system CPU when doing I/O...)
>
> There also was mention of a little US $30 (roughly) device that can sit on
> an ethernet LAN on one end, and talk to a printer on the other end.
>

> ...just a couple of alternative options.

I've built a 'cups' based print server with a PCI LPT card.  I don't have the
model number anywhere - it was the $8 card I bought at the local computer junk
store.  I plugged it in and turned it on and it worked just fine as lpt2 on the
PnPBIOS option under -current:

# The above "com*" comments apply, cf. "lpt0" under "ISA parallel
# "printer interfaces".
lpt*           at pnpbios? index ?     # parallel ports

I found that the rest of the PnP stuff was dodgy, but the lpt port seems to
work fine.

--
Dave Burgess
Chief Technology Officer