Subject: Re: Question...
To: LIST port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/2002 14:31:48
--5cSRzy0VGBWAML+b

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:08:01PM -0400, Kelley Reynolds wrote:
> A bit off topic, but it's for a bunch of netbsd boxes on i386 machines, so
> it'll have to do. I got a bunch of Compaq's that won't boot unless a
> keyboard is plugged in. They are all PS/2. There is no option in the BIOS=
> ignore keyboard errors, and I want them to come back up by themselves if
> there is a power outage. Is there a way I can just toss a few wires into =
the
> PS/2 connector to short it and make the machine thing that a keyboard is
> plugged in?

This might help some:

  http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~tjohnson/pinouts/

The numbers should match up with the MiniDIN8 as listed here:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/Hardware/Misc/serial.html#connectors

(But don't take *my* word for it...)

=2E.. though it doesn't exactly say which way those signals are going.
(I *presume* the clock is sent by the host and received by the
device and the data is sent by the device, but it's possible that
data is actually two-way, as weird as that might be.)

At any rate, shorting something to ground will probably make the
BIOS shut up. (You can do this pretty easily with a paper clip, last
time I tried. Which, admittedly, was for ADB on a Mac, but it's the
same principle.) You might want to play with Google for more
specific instructions before frying things, of course...

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--5cSRzy0VGBWAML+b