Subject: Laptop PCMCIA problems [was Re: xi0: device timeouts]
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Murphy <jeff@mincspc1.murdoch.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/2002 22:55:42
Just to hijack the thread a little.

I'm having problems with PCMCIA cards in a (free) no-name p120 with
an AMI BIOS. So far a Xircom RealPort 10/100, silver Orinoco and
Netgear MA401 wireless cards have all failed to work. dmesg
states there's a

  isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: ISA Plug 'n Play device support

but there's no legacy config options to tweak in the BIOS.

The Xircom always probes OK and gets a link light when the media
type is specified, but still complains of device timeouts. The
wireless cards always get MACs of 00:00:.. , and don't receive
anything even after giving it a valid MAC with wiconfig -m .

Seeing as (at least) the Orinoco cards are quite well supported,
i'm blaming the laptop. Or me.

I've tried 1.5.x GENERIC, a -current snapshot, and fiddled
with a few different PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC masks based on what
works with Windows (and suggestions from the archives). Still
no go.

Could it be more than just an IRQ problem? What else could i try?

I don't have any dmesg handy, but i can arrange some if it'll help.
A networked NetBSD laptop would be neat, because there's no desk
space left..

regards
jeff