Subject: Re: xi0: device timeout (seems fixed now)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ross <rsander7@tampabay.rr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/14/2002 14:49:00
>>Barring more being wrong with the driver than I think, this just
>>means either that your cable isn't capable of 100BaseT

I definitely think it's the driver somehow, since I have full 100 mbit
support in both Windows and Linux.  I switched it from Linux because i prefer
NetBSD, especially since that's what's on my main desktop.  Remember, I had
to patch the driver just to get it to recognize the card at all.  It's possible
that there are other code changes needed for full functionality that weren't
in the patch.

>>Is this one of those fancy ethernet-modem-flyswatter combos they
>>sell, or just the ethernet card?

This one is just a simple 10/100 pcmcia nic, no frills, 16 bit bus.
I've briefly tried OpenBSD with "watchdog timeout" error on this card.
According to the comments in if_xi.c this same driver, is in OpenBSD as well.

There is no real documentation about the card on Xircom's (now Intel's) website.
Looks like either they've made a conscious decision to leave non-Windows people
in the dark, or the Xircom merger has messed up what was available.

Ross