Subject: Re: xi0: device timeout
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/13/2002 17:46:18
--PPYy/fEw/8QCHSq3

[Ross, please try to wrap your lines at a sane margin, where sane is
typically defined as <80 so that it's not so difficult to reply to
them on a standard 80 column terminal. Thanks.]

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 02:32:13AM -0400, Ross wrote:
> I got the xi driver to recognize the NIC by adding in the patch
> I found in a post to the mailing list back in November and the NIC
> does get detected with the correct MAC address.  ifconfig will
> configure the nic with the correct settings.  However, when i go
> to ping another address on the LAN, ping will wait a while, then
> say host is unreachable and the kernel will post alerts "xi0:
> device timeout"

Have you tried setting the media explicitly to whatever's attached?

Something like:

ifconfig xi0 media 100BaseTX

usually makes my xi behave.

Yeah, the driver should probably deal with autodetect, but this will
make things work for you now, most likely.

(Note that dhclient will do this on it's own, btw, and using DHCP
for everything, including machines with "static" IPs, tends to make
one's network administration life much easier.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--PPYy/fEw/8QCHSq3