Subject: my actual (hopefully small) problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Knappe <knappe@tu-harburg.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/2002 23:56:24

		Hallo!

My problem regarding the linking of libreadline is solved. Thanks
for the answers.

But there are a number of small annoying problems, for which
I would like to find a solution or a RTFM to find the solution
myself.

When I boot NetBSD I get the following message:
trinity Sendmail[135]: My unqualified host name (localhost) unknown,
sleeping for retry.

My machine is a dialup machine and I don't use it for mailing.
And I don't have a FQDN.
When I try to send a mail using mail the following messages occurs
at the console xterm:
Apr 12 01:29:07 trinity sendmail[615]: My unqualified host name
(localhost) unkn
own; sleeping for retry
Apr 12 01:30:08 trinity sendmail[615]: unable to qualify my own domain
name (loc
alhost) -- using short name
Apr 12 01:30:09 trinity sendmail[620]: g3BNU9C00620: Losing
./qfg3BNU9C00620: sa
vemail panic
Apr 12 01:30:09 trinity
sendmail[620]: g3BNU9C00620: SYSERR(omfk): savemail: can
not save rejected email anywhere

etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost, trinity

and in /etc/rc.conf
hostname="trinity"

I also have KDE installed. When I start a KDE program (for instance
konqueror) a lot of messages occurs on the console xterm. Is there
a way to avoid this?

Right now I only can connect to the internet using kppp when I start kppp
as root. If I start kppp as a normal user I get the following error:
The application-specific config file could not be opened neither
read-write nor read-only.
The superuser might have to change its ownership by issuing the following
command in your homedirectory

chown {yourusername} ./kde/share/config/kppprc

The problem is there is no config directory in .kde/share.

I could avoid this problem if I could find a solution for connecting
using pppd to my ISP (Freenet germany).

During my installations using pkgsrc, I often got the message
that my umask is 0002 and it should be better 002. I don't remember
the exact values. As for as I remember I never changed it myself, so
what's the reason for this difference.

For the next problem I think I only need the right RTFM. IN order to use
refdb I also need mysql. mysql-server and client are installed from
pkgsrc. But what do I need to do to start mysql at startup?
When I type mysql at the prompt, the following appears:
trinity: {6} mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

In /etc/rc.local there is a hint to the /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
directory, but there are only
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   152 Sep 21  2001 rplayd
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   507 Apr  6 00:30 slapd
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2046 Apr  9 00:05 sshd

But there are no commands in /etc/rc.local that will
start these daemons. If I type
trinity: {11} ssh -l omfk localhost
Secure connection to localhost refused.

So I think that sshd is also not started, right?

Any help is appriciate.

Ciao , Frank .