Subject: Re: USB Maxtor Hard Drive
To: None <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/10/2002 11:50:33
In message <02041017311701.00619@151_DEMO_160>, Bruce Martin writes:
>I got hold of a 60GB Maxtor USB IDE drive - connected it to NetBSD1.5.1/i386,
>and booted. The disk was recognised as sd0 at scsibus0 (which is at umass0,
>which is at uhub0). Is this correct for an IDE drive? Then we hit problems -
>the following messages:

That's what I get for a USB flash memory disk -- it seems that they do
SCSI emulation.  No idea about your drive, but it's not a preposterous
concept.

>sd0: could not mode sense (4/5); using fictitious geometry
>sd0(umass0:1:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00
>sd0: dos partition I/O error

It might need a SCSI quirks entry.  Then again, I have a USB floppy
drive that I haven't been able to make work, despite several efforts at
figuring out the right quirks entry.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com