Subject: Re: problems with Soundblaster AudioPCI 128 - probed but scrambled output
To: Thorsten Frueauf <milano@zhadum.de>
From: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/2002 12:19:45
On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 09:25:09PM +0200, Thorsten Frueauf wrote:
| Hello,
|
| > yeah, i got a sb128 like you, and it works perfectly.
| > Here is the relevant part of dmesg :
| >
| > eap0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: vendor 0x1274 product 0x1371 ES1373B (rev. 0x06)
|
| But this looks like I have a different chipset - I seem to have the CT5880.
|
| > i am running current. try to upgrade to current like me, but i
| > don't think it will help, cause you can see we have exactly the same
| > card. (is it a clone or an original sound blaster ??) |
| I don't know if its a clone. As ist was a "bulk" version it had no
| real package. It was just the pci card and a cdrom.
|
| I booted with a GENERIC kernel from a NetBSD 1.5ZA snapshot, but it
| still gets probed like under 1.5.3_RC1 and playing something still
| sounds like too slow and some jitters.
|
| > maybe it comes from the file itself. try a regular thing like an .au
| > and do a cat file.au > /dev/audio
|
| No, the same files plays quite well under my SparcStation5 running 1.5ZA.
| The same happens for mp3 files too.
|
| So anyone out there with a CT5880 chip on a Soundblaster AudioPCI 128?

I have this card aswell (also with the CT5880). It's *terrible* ..
i've put it in a windows machine my brother uses so I don't have to
live with it anymore. This card just has to be the worst audiocard
ever, terrible driver support (everyone thinks it's the one with the
ES1373 chip, after running the windows update (with the webthing) on
it, it replaced the drivers with the ones for the ES1373 version and
windows crashed on boot) and the output with the drivers from the CD
sounds like utter crap.

My advice : toss it out. You're better off without sound.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/