Subject: Re: xfree
To: zuan . <me_izwan@hotmail.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2002 00:47:13
> >Then it should have worked.
> >
> but it dosents

(nod)

Is it possible that you are using an old version of pkgsrc?  If so, you
can update *that* and see if it knows how to build WindowMaker against
XFree86 4.2.0.  (Note that updating pkgsrc may result in a chain of
updates of installed packages.  Generally, this isn't a problem, but it
can take a while for all of the dust to settle if you have a lot of
installed packages, update pkgsrc, and then do a ``make update'' on even
an innocuous-seeming package.)

Although, really, I wouldn't consider WindowMaker a make-or-break
application, myself.  I've never been all that fond of it, and certainly
there are a large number of *other* window managers, including twm which
ships with XFree86.  (I actually use twm as my main window manager.  I
occasionally try others just to see what's out there, but twm is
``home''.)

 [...]
> >Still, if you don't have a clear reason to need 4.x, and if you don't use
> >the 4.x autoconfig (you said you ran the configuration utility instead),
> >you might as well use 3.3.6 as a starting point.  4.x will be there later.
> >(^&  But the ruts are a little deeper and smoother with 3.3.6, so things
> >may work a bit more as-expected.
>

> ermm i need it coz the old one seem does nnot have a driver for GeForce2
> and with my sis 630 it will not run perfectly example my 800x600 is much
> bigger with 3.x but in in 4.x it look so differ!

Well, if you can't run 3.3.6 on the GeForce2, then I guess that you have a
clear reason to need 4.x.  It might be worth while trying to use 3.3.6 on
your SiS machine, though, and see if it behaves any differently, re.
building WindowMaker.

Also, you might look at some of the slightly older XFree86 4.x releases
(people seemed to think that 4.1 was rock solid).