Subject: Re: xfree
To: zuan . <me_izwan@hotmail.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/2002 08:16:43
> >Oh, you were using 4.2.0?  (Were you using the 4.2.0 that ships with
> >NetBSD, or the 4.2.0-for-NetBSD from XFree86.org?  I'm not sure if they
> >are the same...)
>
> from 4.2.0-for-NetBSD from XFree86.org

It probably wouldn't affect this situation, anyway, but...

> >So, you do this:
> >
> >  cd /usr/pkgsrc/wm/windowmaker
> >  make
> >
> >...correct?
> yeah correct

Then it should have worked.

> >I don't use 4.2.0, so I can't say.  I use XFree86 3.3.6.  I just built and
> >installed WindowMaker from pkgsrc.  I vaguely recall seeing this error
> >once upon a time, but I have no idea when or why or what I did about it.
>
> ermmm it look like have to restoring the old X11 ....

Maybe.  Depending on how fresh your pkgsrc tree is, you might also be able
to just update pkgsrc.  (It's constantly evolving, and is relatively
decoupled from NetBSD proper.)

Still, if you don't have a clear reason to need 4.x, and if you don't use
the 4.x autoconfig (you said you ran the configuration utility instead),
you might as well use 3.3.6 as a starting point.  4.x will be there later.
(^&  But the ruts are a little deeper and smoother with 3.3.6, so things
may work a bit more as-expected.