Subject: Re: xfree
To: zuan . <me_izwan@hotmail.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/2002 03:20:56
> I cannot used startx with my user acct after i run XF86Setup and below is
> the error msg :
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
> You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
> We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

Someone had this problem (and others) a little while back.  It turned out
that he had manually extracted the .tgz NetBSD distribution files, and had
neglected an important option to tar.  As a result, tar didn't set the
permissions on files as it extracted them, and lots of things were
broke---including X.  I believe he got the same errors that you describe,
when trying to run startx.

If you manually extracted the .tgz files, too, then that explains the
problem, very likely.  If so, you can probably fix this by simply doing a
proper installation.  (You can do this by (re)reading the tar man-page and
trying it again by hand, or do a normal NetBSD install using the sysinst
installer.  I recommend the installer, unless you have special needs.)

> i heard that user must use xdm to login so i make root run xdm but it wont

No, you do not need to use xdm.  It's there if you want it, but you don't
need it.  I use startx, personally.

> go any where just stuck at the login screen coz after the login it only give
> 2 option that is [ Default/Safe Fail ] and [ Cancel ].

I don't understand what is giving you these options.  Is this xdm?  Do you
have a GUI display, or is it on the text console?  Perhaps someone else
can recognize this.  But, if no one offers any more of an answer, then you
may have to be more detailed and explicit.  (What you typed, what files
you changed, what happened on your screen, how it happened, etc.)

> do i missing something here ??

I don't know.  I'm not sure exactly what you did.  However, at least some
of the results that you describe suggest that you have an incorrect
installation of NetBSD.