Subject: Re: Hard Drive in 520 byte/sector.
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2002 03:45:22
> if anybody in North America wants a 1024 byte/sector disk to hack on, I
> can provide.  :)

>  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofygoof.com

Is this a "regular" fixed disk, as opposed to removable media?  I have a mobile
rack where I might be able to temporarily install such a disk, but NetBSD has
been very balky running from the hard disk (512 bytes/sector), and is even
balkier on my older computer.

Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk> responds:

> You are probably right. But I don't know the details of the MBR layout
> so I can not really comment on these matters. It just seems to me that
> if it is possible for Windows to figure out which partitions are
> primary and extended then it surely must also be possible for NetBSD?

Further up above, I think it's one extended partition with several logical
drives/partitions, rather than several extended partitions.  Not only Windows,
but Linux too, can figure which partitions are primary and which are logical,
and Linux finds the partitions, which NetBSD seems not to.  But when I booted
the OpenBSD 2.9 or 3.0 installation diskette (there is only one), and ran
"disklabel wd0" (without the quotes), OpenBSD found the DOS primary partition
and DOS and Linux logical partitions.  At that time I had both NetBSD and
OpenBSD-intended primary partitions, but I later combined these two into one
NetBSD primary partition after being repeatedly informed that OpenBSD could not
boot from above 8 GB.  It ought to be possible to find DOS, Windows and Linux
partitions without messing the MBR, and to find DOS, Windows and Linux
partitions on another disk without writing anything to that disk.  Linux can
do that, and apparently so can OpenBSD.