Subject: Re: Hard Drive in 520 byte/sector.
To: None <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/2002 09:13:11
   > Is there a possibility to say disklabel use a 520b/s geometry by entering
   > all drive parameters by hand or must tweak sd.c and other SCSI or what ever
   > drivers ?

   : you must write your own program sending raw scsi commands to read the
   : contents. NetBSD can't handle sector sized != 512 now and for sure won't
   : ever handle non power-of-two sizes.

   520 bytes per sector looks weird, I didn't know such a disk existed, would have
   thought sector size would be a power of 2.  Are you sure you read the datasheet
   correctly?

[snip]

I also have two SCSI drives that have 520 byte sectors.  They are IBM
drives, and from the little bit of information I found, they were probably
pulled from an AS400 system.  No proof for this, but it is the nearest
thing I have found, other then firmware bugs, that would explain this sort
of thing.

I think I tried to low level format them on a Sun Sparc, using the NetBSD
format command, but I don't think that it worked.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]