Subject: Re: Hard Drive in 520 byte/sector.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/2002 05:19:17
> Is there a possibility to say disklabel use a 520b/s geometry by entering
> all drive parameters by hand or must tweak sd.c and other SCSI or what ever
> drivers ?

: you must write your own program sending raw scsi commands to read the
: contents. NetBSD can't handle sector sized != 512 now and for sure won't
: ever handle non power-of-two sizes.

520 bytes per sector looks weird, I didn't know such a disk existed, would have
thought sector size would be a power of 2.  Are you sure you read the datasheet
correctly?

Could one use raw IDE commands, in the case of an IDE/ATAPI drive having sector
size != 512 bytes?  What I have in mind is Fujitsu DynaMO with sector size
2048 bytes, which is a power of 2.  Or am I "stuck" with Linux?