Subject: Re: Some questions about disklabeling.
To: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/2002 05:19:13
> I set up a fake disklabel in /etc/disktab, defined a filesystem in
> /etc/fstab and mounted it and it worked! I had it set up in less
> than 10 minutes.

> Isn't life great!

> Kind regards
>    Ib-Michael

I wish I knew that a couple months ago, or when I wrote that disklabel from
mbrlabel.  I also have DR-DOS 7.03 and Linux (Slackware 8) installed, and the
hard disk was rendered nonbootable.  I recovered by booting the boot floppy
created during the Slack 8 install, and running LILO.  Then, trying to boot
DR-DOS 7.03 from the hard disk through LILO, I found that partition was also
rendered nonbootable, but I recovered by booting DR-DOS from drive A and
running SYS C:   So now I seem to be recovered but don't know if the NetBSD
disklabel is still intact, or if part of that was overwritten.  Linux swap
partition was included in the disklabel, but I can't see any way or reason to
mount this partition from NetBSD.  So now if I want to make any future changes
in the partitions, which is likely since I still have some nonallocated free
space, I will fudge a disklabel in /etc/disktab (or other file?).  That is, if
I can boot and get past pckbc: command timeout.

A complicating factor is that I have a mobile rack in addition to the main hard
drive, and have either of two old hard disks to put there, neither of which I
want to mess up with a NetBSD disklabel overwriting things.  Linux fdisk or
cfdisk shows where each partition begins and ends.

I see from the mbrlabel man page that it is possible to read the mbrlabel to
memory without writing to disk but am warned by an earlier message in this
thread that this is very dangerous.  I don't want to ruin my non-NetBSD
partitions with DR-DOS 7.03, Slack 8 and user data.