Subject: i386 binaries
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rohan Nicholls <Rohan.Nicholls@informaat.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/2002 00:16:07
I think I am missing something with the i386 binaries, and thought I =
would post this here as it seems a specific platform question.

I downloaded the i386 binaries as well as the install and I noticed in =
the documentation that with the pkg_add utility it is very hooked into =
being networked and being able to get at ftp sites.  With this in mind =
the pkg_add takes care of dependencies by downloading and installing the =
ones that are needed.

The problem with the binaries are they come on three cds, and so some of =
the dependencies are not found on the same cd as the program I am =
installing.  Now to my question.  What is the .index file for?  Someone =
has very carefully indexed all the programs for the full set of cds and =
I am wondering if I am supposed to be running the file through some sort =
of indexing part of pkg_add or pkg_admin or whether it is so we can do a =
search on the file for dependencies that are listed and know which cds =
to find the needed packages on.

The reason I ask is that I have been using debian which has an indexing =
system so you add cds and apt-get indexes them so it knows where to find =
what it needs, and I was wondering if there was something similar with =
NetBSD and my newbie ignorance was letting me down.

One of the reasons I got the cds was because the pptp package is =
necessary for me to connect to the internet, although I need to figure =
out how to configure the networking first anyway which left me totally =
lost today.

Thanks in advance,

Rohan