Subject: Re: Networking Problem
To: None <shaun@ncweb.com>
From: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/2002 11:17:22

> I have just installed NetBSD on an IBM 325 PC Server. I was setting up networking and
> was having some trouble. I ran the initial Network Configuration Utility with sysint,
> and everything was up. When I tried to change the IP with ifconfig, it would display the
> changes but nothing would take affect. Is there something else that I have to restart in
> order for this to work?

If you do ifconfig -a you'll get a list of interfaces, one of
which (the one you already configured with sysinst) should look
something like this:

de2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 09:85:cc:ca:90:6e
        media: Ethernet 10baseT
        status: active
        inet 172.16.17.29 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.17.255

The last line has the stuff you want to change; if you enter (as
root, of course) a command of the form

ifconfig de2 inet 10.3.4.5 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255 up

it should do what you want (probably sending an error message to
the console of the form "de2: abnormal interrupt: receive process
stopped", which you can ignore.)  If this is what you're doing,
and it's not working, I don't know what could be going wrong.

Note that to *permanently* change it (i.e. so the change will
survive a reboot) you need to edit /etc/ifconfig.<interface>, and
you should look at etc/mygate and /etc/myname too, and depending on
how far, topologically, you're moving it, etc/resolv.conf.

Hope this helps.

---Alex