Subject: Re: Hard Drive in 520 byte/sector.
To: None <david.vyskocil@wanadoo.fr>
From: andreidergatch <andreidergatch@yandex.ru>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/2002 22:14:55
Hi

>Hi !...
>
>I've some IBM 0661-471 SCSI hards drives low formated in 406 Mb 520
>bytes/sector and wish to read the content of it, but NetBSD-1.5.2 seem not
>ok to do that.
>
>At boot, NetBSD report he found the drive but "could not sense mode 4/5" and
>"using a fictitious geometry".
>
>I've 'low?' formatted one and now it report himself as a 387Mb
>512bytes/sector, but should be 400Mb in 512b/s and 406Mb in 520b/s... (from
>datasheet)
>...then I suspect I've just formated it in 512b/s under a 520b/s low format
>? :-/
>
>Is there a possibility to say disklabel use a 520b/s geometry by entering
>all drive parameters by hand or must tweak sd.c and other SCSI or what ever
>drivers ?

AFAIK it would take a significant effort to make NetBSD
to support 520b/s geometry. However, perhaps it is
not necessary in your case - you stated that you
tried to format the drive with 512b/s, you just suspect
you were having problems with that operation. If you
haven't yet found all the information you need with google,
I just wanted to point out a program I used several times
to do this very operation (and many more !) - format
a previously 520b/s drive to 512b/s - scu.
Sorry I don't now if an equivalent is available for NetBSD.

>Regards,
>david.vyskocil@wanadoo.fr

HTH,

Regards,