Subject: Re: Install NetBSD 1.5.2 on 486 with Phoenix BIOS?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/2002 04:23:12
> I bet if you searched hard enough, you could find a
> bios update for that thing. That would probably be the
> first place to start if you know it gives you
> problems.

> Andy

That Phoenix BIOS dates to 1994, and I don't think BIOSes were
flash-upgradeable back in those days.  I looked once for BIOS update but
couldn't find anything.  Maybe I'd need a hardware chip.  That old computer is
not really worth spending any serious money on, probably not worth spending any
serious time on.  But I am curious to see if I can work around the bugs and
install Linux or NetBSD so as to be able to read the CD-ROM.  It is a
Cx486DX2-S at 66 MHz with 20 MB RAM, so I don't think I can run any current
graphic web browsers with acceptable speed.