Subject: Re: backspace problem when using vi
To: Ed Gould <ed@left.wing.org>
From: Paul de Weerd <paul@mail.me.maar.nu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/2002 23:01:48
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:36:30AM -0800, Ed Gould wrote:
| > On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Ed Gould wrote:
| >
| > # when the first outside release of vi was made, with 2BSD (1BSD was just
| > # the Pascal system; 2BSD included Pascal and other userland tools - I
| > # don't recall if it included a kernel or not;
| >
| > Sure did:  2.9BSD was the release for the PDP-11
| >
| > # 3BSD was the first
| > # complete Unix system BSD release, it was for the PDP-11; 4BSD was a
| > # complete system release for the VAX, and eventually other virtual
| > # memory machines.  At the beginning, all of them - with the possible
| > # exception of 1BSD - required a Unix source license from AT&T).
|
| Now that you mention 2.9BSD, you jog my memory.  Originally, 2BSD did
| not contain a kernel; it was just userland tools.  3BSD was for the VAX
| (not the PDP-11 as I said earlier), with virtual memory (based on the
| swap-only port from AT&T called 32V) but not networking.  4BSD added
| networking.  2.9BSD came later, and included a complete PDP-11 system.
| If I remember correctly, 2.9 came after 4.0.

Yup .. that makes sense... must be unix

(And I thought I was showing my age with basic unix history knowledge ;)

Thanks for the educational history lesson .. i've explained (on more
than one occasion) that vi uses those 'strange key combinations' for a
more generic keyboard layout, so each and every terminal ever produced
could work with it without all the hassle of termcaps etc. Hmm .. I
think I'll stick with this (flawed) story for the newbies ;)

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/