Subject: Re: backspace problem when using vi
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Ed Gould <ed@left.wing.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/2002 10:36:30
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Ed Gould wrote:
>
> # when the first outside release of vi was made, with 2BSD (1BSD was just
> # the Pascal system; 2BSD included Pascal and other userland tools - I
> # don't recall if it included a kernel or not;
>
> Sure did:  2.9BSD was the release for the PDP-11
>
> # 3BSD was the first
> # complete Unix system BSD release, it was for the PDP-11; 4BSD was a
> # complete system release for the VAX, and eventually other virtual
> # memory machines.  At the beginning, all of them - with the possible
> # exception of 1BSD - required a Unix source license from AT&T).

Now that you mention 2.9BSD, you jog my memory.  Originally, 2BSD did
not contain a kernel; it was just userland tools.  3BSD was for the VAX
(not the PDP-11 as I said earlier), with virtual memory (based on the
swap-only port from AT&T called 32V) but not networking.  4BSD added
networking.  2.9BSD came later, and included a complete PDP-11 system.
If I remember correctly, 2.9 came after 4.0.

	--Ed