Subject: Re: icy-dock
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/2002 23:47:47
On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 12:59:03AM +0100, Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there someone who has experience with devices that are
> called "icy-dock"?
>
> One of their OEM sites is "http://www.raidsonic.de/index-
> e.htm".
>
> I am interested in the "MB 017", a 5,25" case, 3 units hight,
> that accepts 3 SCA LVD hot swappable disks.
>
> They look a little crappy, but I could get 3 disks on three
> SCSI Channels in one 4U 19" Case.
>
> Any other recommendations are welcome.

Enlight makes a similar SCA cage, the 8720, which puts five SCA
drives (3.5" x 1") in three half-height 5.25" bays.  We have two
of them in a machine where I work; they are slightly flimsy but work
well and keep the drives surprisingly cool.  There's also a cheaper,
older model, the 8700, which has a backplane rated only for Ultra2
(80MB/sec) instead of the Ultra160 of the 8720, but has the interesting
property that as it has no integrated termination, you can daisy-chain
them if you want to.

SuperMicro makes a similar widget that puts four SCA disks in the same
amount of space the Enlight units put five disks into.  Perhaps the cooling
is a little better -- haven't used one, so I don't know.

Thor