Subject: Re: Problems with NetBSD v1.5.2 and KDE v2.1
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/18/2002 20:46:18
A big thank you to
Wojciech Puchar, Richard Rauch and Jasper Wallace.

You were all right: I "forgot" the 'tar -p' option. After reinstallation
of the NetBSD binaries my sendmail and X problems disappeared. The
reason I "forgot" the -p option is that I believe I have been used to
use a depreciated version of tar which restored the permissions just
by using the -x flag (or at least I have never noticed errors in the
permissions of restored files :-).

Richard Rauch writes:
 > I always install with the system installer.  I've never had the problems
 > that you describe.  I've run most, almost all, releases and patch-releases
 > since 1.3.

I use it too, sometimes. But I am running on a dual-booting disk,
so I like to have full control (? :-) with what is happening.

I still have the 2 KDE problems (Ctrl-Esc and screensaver setup).

 > Re. KDE: I get the same problem with the tasklist feature.  But the
 > screen-saver looks like it's working.  (I was able to
 > browse/select/configure/test the screensavers; I didn't actually leave the
 > machine idle long enough for the saver to come up.)

I do not follow your choice of menus, what application are you using?
I click the Kicon-Preferences-Look & Feel-Screensaver and get the
error. Maybe by using your method I will have better luck, but will
you please tell what application you are
browse/select/configure/test'ing in.

Kind regards
   Ib-Michael
--