Subject: Problems with NetBSD v1.5.2 and KDE v2.1
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2002 08:57:37
Dear List.

I have recently installed a fresh NetBSD v1.5.2 and allthough I ran
into some troubles I have managed to get some of it to work.

However I would be grateful for any comments on my various "patching".

Solved problems(?)
------------------

Ordinary users could not use vi, so I had to set
chmod -R a+wt /var/tmp

Ordinary users could not use /tmp, so I had to set
chmod a+wt /tmp

Ordinary users could not ping, so I had to set
chmod u+s /sbin/ping

The /etc/dhclient-script was missing, so I had to use a v1.5 copy.

Unsolved problems:
------------------

I had to set
chmod u+s /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
otherwise ordinary users get the following errors when trying to
send mail:

collect: Cannot write ./dfg2GGweI19347 (bfcommit, uid=101): Permission denied
queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tfg2GGweI19347, uid=101: Permission denied
Mar 16 17:58:40 aptiva sendmail[19347]: g2GGweI19347: SYSERR(imm): collect: Cannot write ./dfg2GGweI19347 (bfcommit, uid=101): Permission denied
Mar 16 17:58:40 aptiva sendmail[19347]: g2GGweI19347: SYSERR(imm): queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tfg2GGweI19347, uid=101: Permission denied

I also had to set chmod a+wt /var/mail otherwise I got the error
message:

mail.local can not write to /var/mail/imm and /var/mail/root. MISSING AUTHs.

at regular intervals.

I can not get sendmail to save mail-files in /var/mail with the
owner-id of the receiver, all mail-files have owner-id daemon and
thus can not be read by ordinary users.

Ordinary users can not run X. I have circumvented the problem by
setting
chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA

If I do not do that, ordinary users get the error

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Can someone explain how to use the Xwrapper binary as I can not
find any documentation on it.

KDE v2.1 problems
-----------------

When I try to set up a screensaver using the KDE Control Center
I get an error box saying:

There was an error loading the module.
The diagnostics is:
Shared object "libkcm_screensaver.a" not found

allthough /usr/X11R6/lib/kde2/libkcm_screensaver.a and
/usr/X11R6/lib/kde2/libkcm_screensaver.la does exist and
ldconfig -vr shows:
root@aptiva.dk:~ => ldconfig -vr
/var/run/ld.so.hints:
        search directories: /usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib/kde2

If I am right Ctrl-ESC should show a task list, but all I get is
an error box saying:

Cannot find file ProcessTable.sgrd!

and an empty window running KDE System Guard. I believe at some
point I did get a task list, but the system has chrashed once
and I am probably missing a file or two?

I hope someone can help me in solving the above problems.

Kind regards
   Ib-Michael
--
email at home: imm@nethotel.dk