Subject: Re: Using Odd and Even parity on the standary serial ports? (tty00,
To: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/14/2002 11:40:15
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Bruce Martin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have been happily using the serial ports on a NetBSD1.5.1/i386 box for
> years, on no parity. Recently we tried to get one working on Even or Odd
> parity. We connected a null modem cable to a serial terminal program (that
> can autodetect what ii is receiving), and NetBSD1.5.1/i386 on the other
> side. For 9600,8N1, everything worked fine, the other system detected it and
> we could communicate fine.
>
> However, when we change Minicom on the NetBSD box to 9600,8E1, or 9600,8O1,
> we have problems - the other system autodetects it as 8N1, and transfers
> occur fine between the two. If we try and manually set it to Even or Odd on

I noticed this one went unresponded to.

How is it you're transfering files w/ minicom? zmodem? xmodem? ymodem?

Is the far side anything proprietary?

Did you try Kermit?  How about tip using "~>" or "~<" (UUCP)

-lava

> the other (non-NetBSD) side, it does not work. So we are sure that NetBSD is
> not using the correct parity.
>
> Does anyone out there have experience in using even and odd parity?
>
> Thanks
>  Bruce

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

"From listening comes wisdom and from speaking repentance."