Subject: Re: 160GB IDE Drives under NetBSD?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/2002 11:27:35
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 05:03:23PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:15:42 +0200
>     From:        "Bruce Martin" <brucem@cat.co.za>
>
> This has (no longer) anything to do with poirt-i386 - put future
> questions like this on netbsd-help
>
>   | Do you know why this doesn't work?
>
> The default filesystem parameters aren't intended for filesystems that
> big.
>
> You need less cylinder groups (20 or 30 would do, but making that few might
> be difficult).   That's done by allocating more cylinders per cyl group
> than the default of 16.   Ty the -c option to newfs - for your drive, I'd
> suggest something like -c 256  (maybe -c 128).

Actually, I did some tests several months ago and it appeared to be the
case that somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-100 cylinder groups gave
the best performance.  This is not too surprising since that's about as
many cylinder groups as the "traditional" VAX disks had.

Since then Luke has integrated the "new dirpref" code, however, which may
make this matter a whole lot less.