Subject: Re: 160GB IDE Drives under NetBSD?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/2002 14:34:27

> > where xxx are data bytes/inode. default 4096 is far too much unless you
> > really need to store >10 milions of files. i use 32768 (it must be power
> > of 2) for every large drive where large is >=10GB. 16384 should be OK too,
> > less are just waste and eons of fsck'ing
>
> Unused inodes shouldn't take any time to fsck!

reading them too?
yes it takes longer to scan 10 milions of inodes than 1 milion.

> IIRC there is a limit on the number of blocks per cylinder group.
> I think the free bitmap has to sit in one block.

probably that's why i can't use more than about -c 100

> The number of cylinder groups created does seem somewhat excessive for
> modern drives - especially since the cylinder count is a lie.

but consequent "cylinders" are one after one so it's not really useless.

> Maybe the defaults for newfs should be changed.
>
> FWIW I changed the parameters when creating my root fs, and it runs
> out of inodes!  I can't remember the paramters I used, but I changed
> the cylinder group size and bytes/inode.  I do wonder if the sum
> allowed for both since I don't recall requesting 32k/inode.

if you have small root fs you shouldn't use such option.

i always make one partition for everything (+swap) so it's large and such
inodes option make sense