Subject: Re: 160GB IDE Drives under NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/2002 10:55:51
On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:32:08AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> where xxx are data bytes/inode. default 4096 is far too much unless you
> really need to store >10 milions of files. i use 32768 (it must be power
> of 2) for every large drive where large is >=10GB. 16384 should be OK too,
> less are just waste and eons of fsck'ing

Unused inodes shouldn't take any time to fsck!

IIRC there is a limit on the number of blocks per cylinder group.
I think the free bitmap has to sit in one block.

This must mean that there is a maximum filesystem size for any
given block size.

The number of cylinder groups created does seem somewhat excessive for
modern drives - especially since the cylinder count is a lie.
Maybe the defaults for newfs should be changed.

FWIW I changed the parameters when creating my root fs, and it runs
out of inodes!  I can't remember the paramters I used, but I changed
the cylinder group size and bytes/inode.  I do wonder if the sum
allowed for both since I don't recall requesting 32k/inode.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk