Subject: Using Odd and Even parity on the standary serial ports? (tty00, tty01)
To: i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2002 17:11:40
Hi all,

We have been happily using the serial ports on a NetBSD1.5.1/i386 box for
years, on no parity. Recently we tried to get one working on Even or Odd
parity. We connected a null modem cable to a serial terminal program (that
can autodetect what ii is receiving), and NetBSD1.5.1/i386 on the other
side. For 9600,8N1, everything worked fine, the other system detected it and
we could communicate fine.

However, when we change Minicom on the NetBSD box to 9600,8E1, or 9600,8O1,
we have problems - the other system autodetects it as 8N1, and transfers
occur fine between the two. If we try and manually set it to Even or Odd on
the other (non-NetBSD) side, it does not work. So we are sure that NetBSD is
not using the correct parity.

Does anyone out there have experience in using even and odd parity?

Thanks
 Bruce